Monday, November 5, 2012

What's next?

By way of explanation, I feel compelled to let you know that if a blog only shows post summaries in Google Reader, I'll typically open any posts I'm interested in in a new browser tab with the intent of reading them. I frequently get distracted, and therefore, I find that I typically have ten or more tabs open. As a result, it may take me days to get around to reading something that's caught my interest. So please, never look to this blog for up-to-date commentary on anything.

But I digress.

The point of that story was, that there was a post on Pocketmint that I had started reading last week and just finished today. And I absolutely loved the conclusion:

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” ignores the fact that our minds never stop growing. Instead of trying to map out our whole lives at once, maybe we should just be asking,

“What should I do next?”

But, of course I would love someone else eloquently validating my own aimless wandering through life. Aimless, not because I don't know what I want to do, but because there are so many things that I want to do. My interests and passions are so far varied that it seems impossible to pursue all of them, which can be frustrating.

This was a good reminder to chill. The fuck. Out. Because I don't have to do everything Right Now. I can't. But that doesn't mean I won't get a chance to write, read, walk two very well-trained dogs, rock a belly dance routine because I've been exercising the appropriate muscles in order to do so, contribute time to a cause that's important to me, actually complete one of the many projects I've conceived of, cook an amazing meal from food that I've grown, share said meal with my family and friends, and enjoy it in my beautiful home, which was designed with sustainability in mind. Maybe I can't do all of these things at the same time, but it doesn't mean that I can't do all of them some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment